Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Here's why babies are officially awesome."

I think that's what this course should really be titled.

Anyway, classes have been intense, but good. Seeing actual children in our environment was really great; I was amazed how comfortable the 5 infants seemed (ages 3 mo. to 11 mo.), even though they had 17 adults sitting in chairs and staring at them (but carefully avoiding eye contact, even if they were attempting to crawl through your legs). We had prepared the environment the night before in lab, so it was interesting to see what activities got used, and which didn't. We get to see most of the same children again today, so I'm curious to see what, if anything, changes about their interactions with the environment (and each other)!

Besides class... Friday we had the day off; of course I still woke up at the crack of dawn, and decided to at least be productive and do my laundry, so I could get into NYC at a decent time. Walking to the station took a little longer than I anticipated, but I caught a train with no trouble. I spent most of the day in the Museum of Modern Art... and it was amazing. I tend to gravitate towards modern art anyway, and this place at 6 floors of it. Chagall, Picasso, Van Gogh, Pollock, Klimt, Miro, Kandinsky, Dali, Warhol... and this neat performance art sort of piece, where the museum staff basically measures everyone's height, and writes the date and their name beside it with a black sharpie.

It created this cool effect that naturally emphasized the museum-goers' average height, with the outliers above and below.




(side note: while I was waiting in line to get measured, I actually found another Monica who had visited the museum already that very day! But she was shorter than me, so I figured I'd get my own measurement.)





























So after the museum and a really amazing latte, I had the splendid opportunity to visit the B. family! :) The girls used to go to our school back in Texas, and I've missed them so much since they moved back to NY. M. and S. seemed to have fun showing me their room, and Q. kept bringing me toys! Anyway, we walked to dinner nearby, and I had a really great time catching up with the whole family.

July 4th was a mix of me attempting to get some work done, and failing miserably. Eventually I gave up, and went out to dinner with some folks from the program. We drove to City Island, and ate at this really neat place with a quiet garden patio out back.



After we got back to New Rochelle, a subset of us walked out to the harbor to watch the fireworks! From our vantage point, we could actually see 6 different firework displays across the water, each for a different little town of the area.

Sunday was just plain productive. Fortunately, the weather was beautiful, so I spent a lot of time outside, too. :)

Anyway, I really have to get going, if I want to eat breakfast before class! Hope everyone is doing well, and I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment